The Tanzania Cigarette Company (TCC), a member of the JTI Group of Companies, boasts a proud history that reflects the way the country itself has re-shaped over the past half a century.
The Company was established as East African Tobacco in 1961, just a few years later the Government of Tanzania acquired 60% equity in the Company, as part of Tanzania’s Nationalization program and the remaining 40% in 1975.
In 1995, RJ Reynolds acquired a 51% stake in TCC. In 1999, Japan Tobacco Inc. (JT) acquired all non-US Tobacco operations of RJ Reynolds, including its 51% stake in TCC. In September 2000, JT, through its international tobacco division, Japan Tobacco International (JTI), increased its shareholding in TCC from 51% to 75%, making JTI the majority shareholder in TCC.
Today, TCC is listed at the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange, and the organization shares a common aspiration with the nation for success and respect, guided by our three core values – enterprising, open and challenging.
TCC’s activities indirectly support over 100,000 tobacco farmers and over 2,500 business partners.
As market leaders, we manufacture, market and sell seven local brands and the global flagship brand Camel.